Because eggplants are in season, this month’s recipe is for crumbed eggplant with tomato salsa. It comes from Mike and Rosa Auddino from Auddino’s Produce.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 packet crumb mix of your choice, or gluten-free
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 ripe, firm tomatoes (round or Roma), chopped into small cubes
- 2 spring onions or ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ capsicum, finely diced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, finely diced
- Freshly chopped basil
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
– Wash and slice eggplant into even slices – not too thick. Cover with salt and leave for a few hours in a colander to drain away all the bitter juices. Do not wash salt off.
– Prepare bread crumbs by adding finely chopped garlic. Mix through evenly.
– Coat eggplant slices in flour then dip into beaten egg mixture then into crumb mix. Press firmly. Continue until all slices are crumbed.
– Heat the oil in a frypan. Cook on medium heat for approximately 4–5 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through.
– Combine all salsa chopped ingredients. Mix in olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
Serve with crumbed eggplant.