Recipe by Michaela Uren of Forchefs
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 680g pitted cherries
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Melted butter, to grease
- 10 sheets filo pastry
- 60g butter, melted
- 100g almond meal
- Pure icing sugar, to dust
- Whipped cream, to serve
– Combine the apple, cherries, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in a large glass or ceramic bowl.
– Set aside for 2 hours to macerate. Drain.
– Preheat oven to 180ºC. Lightly brush a baking tray with butter.
– Place the filo on a clean work surface.
– Cover with a dry tea towel, then a damp tea towel (this prevents it drying out).
– Brush 1 filo sheet with melted butter. Top with another filo sheet. Brush with melted butter. Repeat with melted butter and remaining filo.
– Sprinkle with the almond meal.
– Place the filling along 1 long side, leaving a 6cm-wide border at each end.
– Fold in the ends and roll up firmly to enclose.
– Place, seam-side-down, on the prepared tray and brush with remaining butter
– Brush with remaining butter.
– Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
– Dust with icing sugar.
– Serve with whipped cream.