Brandy Brulee with Cherry compot
Recipe by Ivonne Nathan of forchefs
• 500g cherries, pitted to give 300g, halved
• ½ 1tsp vanilla essence
• 110g sugar
• 2 tsp arrowroot
• 6 egg yolks
• 100g sugar
• 30ml brandy
• 170ml milk
• 470ml cream
– Put cherries, vanilla, sugar & 2 tbsp water into a pan. Bring gently to a simmer and stir to dissolve sugar. Simmer for 5 or 6 minutes until slightly thickened.
– Take 1 tbsp liquid from the pan and mix with the arrowroot to form a paste. Add this back in and bring back to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes then divide it among the ramekins or oven proof glasses. Chill until set.
– Preheat oven to 120C
– Whisk sugar, yolks and brandy together. Pour cream & milk in and combine well. Strain and pour into moulds.
– Place in a tray and fill with hot water 2/3 up the sides. Cover with loosely with foil and bake for 30 min or until custards have set
– Cool, then sprinkle with a little caster sugar and use torch to make the toffee crust