Recipe by Brendon and Gerard from the Fish Shack
- Spice mix
- 1 tbs cardamom pods
- 3 whole or 1 tsp ground star anise
- 1 stick or 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs caraway seeds
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tbs sweet paprika
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns (Sichuan or black)
- 3 dry chillis
- 3 tbs sea salt
This spice mix will make enough for multiple squid servings. It can also be dusted on grilled fish or tempura seafood.
- 700-800 grams squid tubes
- Rice flour for dusting
- Oil for deep-frying
– Grind spices to a fine powder using a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.
– Clean squid tubes and then slice from top to bottom to open the tubes. Score the inside of the squid tube on the diagonal with a sharp knife (do not cut through the squid). Cut scored squid into pieces approximately 4-5 cms squared. Lightly dust squid in rice flour and set aside.
– Heat oil to 180-190 degrees. Once oil is hot enough it will look clear and still (test by dropping a cube of bread into it; it should cook golden brown in about 30 seconds). Carefully place squid into the oil and cook for approximately 2 minutes, until squid is lightly browned. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.
– Dust with mixed spice and serve with fresh lemon and aoili.