Ho Ho Ho-eads up! Our last Market for 2017 will be on Saturday 23rd December. That’s Christmas Eve, Eve. It’s your last chance to get in for all your holiday food needs.
You will find fresh seasonal Christmas fruit like cherries and stone fruit, meats including Christmas hams, sumptuous seafood including fish, oysters and prawns, plus all the Christmas sweet treats like puddings, cakes and chocolates.
If you’re stuck for last minute Christmas gift ideas, head in for the Farmers Market Cook Book or a Gift Card – both are available from the Rotary Help Desk at the Market entry. Seasons Eatings!
Brandy Brulee with Cherry compot
Recipe by Ivonne Nathan of forchefs
• 500g cherries, pitted to give 300g, halved
• ½ 1tsp vanilla essence
• 110g sugar
• 2 tsp arrowroot
• 6 egg yolks
• 100g sugar
• 30ml brandy
• 170ml milk
• 470ml cream
– Put cherries, vanilla, sugar & 2 tbsp water into a pan. Bring gently to a simmer and stir to dissolve sugar. Simmer for 5 or 6 minutes until slightly thickened.
– Take 1 tbsp liquid from the pan and mix with the arrowroot to form a paste. Add this back in and bring back to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes then divide it among the ramekins or oven proof glasses. Chill until set.
– Preheat oven to 120C
– Whisk sugar, yolks and brandy together. Pour cream & milk in and combine well. Strain and pour into moulds.
– Place in a tray and fill with hot water 2/3 up the sides. Cover with loosely with foil and bake for 30 min or until custards have set
– Cool, then sprinkle with a little caster sugar and use torch to make the toffee crust
M 0448 975 478 E firstname.lastname@example.org www.rgt.com.au
Strawberries aren’t the only little red fruit that we love so much! Cherries are back, and nothing says it’s almost summer, better than fresh cherries. Our growers from Young are back at the Market with cherries available in bags or large boxes. These beauties look great on your table to nibble on as you pass and make a lovely inclusion in any summer fruit salad. Containing dietary fibre and vitamin C, cherries are also good for you. Market stallholder Torry Hill Orchards from Young now has delicious Rons cherries available, as well as cherry jam, bottled cherries, cherry chocolate muffins and cherry pies. Come and meet our cherry growers from Young each Saturday at the Market.