Recipe by Ivonne Nathan of forchefs
- 150g rolled oats
- seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, plus a little extra to sprinkle
- 50g whole blanched almonds
- 50g blanched hazelnuts
- 75g raisins
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks
- 500ml milk, plus extra for serving
- 200ml double cream
- 2 tbsp Demerara sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C
2. Combine the oats and vanilla seeds in a mixing bowl – use your fingers to rub the seeds through the oats. Add the spices, nuts, raisins and pear and mix well. Stir in the milk and cream, and then pour the mixture into a baking dish. Dust with a little extra grated nutmeg.
3. Place in the oven and bake for 30–35 minutes, or until the oats are completely softened and the liquid absorbed.
4. Heat the grill on its highest setting. Sprinkle the top of the porridge with the sugar and place under the grill for 3–4 minutes, or until the sugar has melted and created a crust.
5. Serve warm, with a little extra milk on the side if desired