Because apples are pretty hot and the weather is cooling down right now, this month we’re sharing a recipe from Owen Pidgeon at Loriendale Orchard – his apple, onion and potato gratin.
Apple, onion and potato gratin
Owen Pidgeon, Loriendale Orchard
- 3 medium apples
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- 500g onions
- 500g potato
- Cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
– Peel, core and slice apples thickly. Preheat oven to 200°C.
– Grease medium-sized casserole dish.
– Mix the sliced apples with lemon juice, brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. Peel and finely slice the onions and potatoes and mix these two together.
– Layer the two sets of ingredients in the casserole dish, adding some salt and cayenne pepper to the layers of onion/potato.
– Fill to the top of the dish and ensure that the last layer is made up of apple slices. Pour the cream over the filling and dot butter on top.
– Bake for about 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese and breadcrumbs on top and more dotted butter and bake for a further 15 minutes.
– Serve with accompanying mixed farm-fresh vegetables