As asparagus season is fast approaching, this month we bring you a delightful spring recipe – grilled chicken, asparagus, blueberry & ricotta salad (pg. 36 of the recipe book) The recipe was provided by stallholder Donald Smith who grows both asparagus and blueberries near Cooma, and sourced from www.australianblueberries.com.au.
Grilled chicken, asparagus, blueberry & salted ricotta salad*
From Donald Smith, stallholder
(*sourced from www.australianblueberries.com.au)
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches baby asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 2 large handfuls rocket leaves
- 2 x 125g punnets blueberries
- 125g thinly sliced salted ricotta
- 1 cup (150g) hazelnuts, lightly roasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
– Slice the chicken into thin strips. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
– Preheat a frying pan over medium heat and cook strips for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer onto a plate and set aside.
– Cut the asparagus in half and cook in a saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds, or until just tender. Drain and plunge into a bowl of iced water to refresh. Drain.
– To make the dressing, combine the vinegar, maple syrup and mustard in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper.
– Combine the chicken, asparagus, rocket, blueberries, ricotta and hazelnuts in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Serve.