Because rhubarb’s in throughout Autumn, this month we bring you a deliciously good recipe for Rottergrutze (page 138 of the recipe book). The recipe was provided by stallholders Maryanne and Michael Devey from Win’s Creek Honey, and it’s a family favourite.
Maryanne and Michael Devey, Win’s Creek Honey
- 375g rhubarb, chopped into small pieces
- ½ lemon/orange zest
- 3 tablespoons water or orange juice
- 1 vanilla bean or teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sago
- 100g ironbark honey
- 500g raspberries
- ½ cup Pinto Rose Mead or purple grape juice
– Soak sago in cold water for 30 minutes and drain.
– In a non-reactive saucepan add first three ingredients, if using grape juice you can add this now too, and bring to a simmer before adding sago.
– Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes and stir so sago doesn’t stick to the pan.
– Add honey and stir until melted and lastly add berries for just a few minutes. Do not over-cook. Once cooled if you wish, you can add the Pinto Rose Mead for adults.
Serve chilled with Greek yoghurt.