800ml chicken stock
75g unsalted butter
1tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
75ml dry white wine
50g parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus extra to garnish
- For the risotto, place into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, add saffron and cover with a lid to infuse for five minutes.
- Place a medium-sized, heavy-based saucepan over low heat. Add one tablespoon of the unsalted butter and olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook, without browning, until soft.
- Add the rice and stir until all grains are coated with oil and have slightly warmed.
- Deglaze the saucepan with white wine then stir continuously until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Add in half of the stock to the rice saucepan and stir continuously to prevent rice sticking to the base of the pan. When the liquid has reduced, add another quarter of the stock. When all liquid has been absorbed add remaining stock. Cook for a further five minutes or until rice is cooked and a creamy texture is achieved, adding small amounts of water if necessary.