Recipe by Brendon and Gerard from the Fish Shack
- 1 kg local prawns, peeled with tail on
- 2 egg whites
- 200-250 grams fine rice flour
- 150-200ml soda water
- Oil for shallow frying
- Salt to taste
- 1 red onion sliced finely
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes halved
- 200g mixed leaf salad
- 100g snow pea sprouts
- 100g bean shoots
- 30g fried shallots for garnish
- ½ lime, juice and zest
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs honey
- 3 tbs olive oil
– To prepare the tempura batter, place egg whites in a bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until soft peaks form. Add 100mls of soda water, and then slowly add 150 grams of rice flour, beating as you go.
– Mix all salad items and add dressing to taste.
– Heat enough oil to shallow fry in a fry pan on medium heat. Lightly coat prawns in the remaining rice flour (this will help the tempura batter to stick when cooking). Carefully place prawns into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes until crisp.
– Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Toss in a little salt and serve on the prepared salad. Garnish with fried shallots.