Recipe by Joel Jones from the Treehouse Bar in Canberra
- 2 Duck Breast
- Olive Oil
- Tea leaves enough to cover a tray
- 200g Brown Sugar
- 1 Cinnamon Quill
- 1 Bay Leaves
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 Orange :
- Salt and Pepper
- Fennel Bulbs
- 1 Bunch Thyme
- 50g Butter
- 200ml Cream
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Large Beetroot
- White Vinegar
- Castor sugar
Smoked Duck Breast:
– Seal the duck breast skin down until nicely browned.
– In a foiled tray, place the tea leaves, sugar, cinnamon quill, the rind from the orange and a few sprigs of the thyme.
– Finely slice the beetroot
– Add the vinegar and sugar along with the star anise and the juice from 1 orange, bay leaf and salt and pepper.
– Slice the fennel, place in a small pot of water and boil.
– Reduce the cream and Butter until thick
– Strain the fennel once cooked
– Add the cream mixture and season to taste.
– Finely slice the fennel add lemon juice, salt and pepper and olive oil
– Allow the fennel to soften in the mixture.
– Strain for service.
– Chop some Thyme to taste adjust seasoning if needed.