Here we go! Time to go ‘round again for Christmas. The excitement is palpable. And what’s a good Christmas without an unforgettable Christmas feast! Whether you’re a stickler for seafood, prefer poultry, or love to ham it up, the Market has you covered for an array of festive themed main courses. Over the coming weeks, you can buy turkey (whole and in pieces), goose (whole), and chicken from Thirlmere Poultry Supply – orders are essential for pick up on Saturday 21st December. Pasture-raised chicken is also available from Canowindra Farm.
If you’re keen on the Aussie summer tradition of seafood at Christmas, you are spoilt for choice with many fresh seafood options at Market. Oysters come fresh from the Clyde River on the NSW South Coast from Rod Terry Oysters, opened or unopened. You’ll also find oysters at Warren’s Fresh Seafood. If prawns take your fancy, Warren’s also has Crystal Bay prawns, cooked or green, and you can choose from fresh wild-caught Australian king prawns and frozen wild-caught green prawns from Narooma Seafood Direct. Warren’s will also have lobsters and fresh fish, and Narooma will have fresh whole, filleted or smoked fish, octopus and live or cooked lobster – by order only.
If you’re a big fan of the Christmas ham, you can’t go past the traditional Christmas leg ham from Wagga Free Range Pork, clean label Australian grown leg hams and glazed ham kits including leg ham prepped and ready to glaze, glaze, glaze brush, temperature probe and instructions from Butt’s Gourmet Smokehouse (order only), and Christmas ham legs (full and half) from Formichi Smallgoods– available 7th and 21st December. If you prefer a hot roast meal on the big day, enjoy free-range pork from Boxgum Grazing, and beef and lamb from Kurrajong Country Meats and Minto Galloways and Moorlands Biodynamic Lamb (order for pick up on 14th December). Make it a great Christmas feast with a Market main.
• 300g cooked prawns shell removed
• 200g rice vermicelli noodles
• ½ punnet cherry tomatoes cut into halves
• 1 small cucumber, deseeded and sliced
• 1 small red chilli deseeded and finely sliced
• 1/3 cup each of mint, coriander & Thai basil
• 2 tbsp salted peanuts roughly chopped
• 2 tbsp each of lime juice, sesame oil, fish sauce & sweet chilli sauce
• Caster sugar to taste
– Cover noodles with boiling water until softened.
– Meanwhile prepare salad ingredients
– Whisk dressing ingredients together
– Drain noodles and toss all ingredients together except peanuts. Put into serving bowl and sprinkle with nuts
– To prepare the tempura batter, place egg whites in a bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until soft peaks form. Add 100mls of soda water, and then slowly add 150 grams of rice flour, beating as you go.
– Mix all salad items and add dressing to taste.
– Heat enough oil to shallow fry in a fry pan on medium heat. Lightly coat prawns in the remaining rice flour (this will help the tempura batter to stick when cooking). Carefully place prawns into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes until crisp.
– Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Toss in a little salt and serve on the prepared salad. Garnish with fried shallots.
180-200 g of fresh white fish (skin on or off bone out)
1 whole soft shell crab (cleaned and cut into 4 pieces)
1 whole Squid tube (clean and cut for tenderisation)
2-4 local prawns (clean and de vain prawns)
Corse crumbs, lemon zest, parsley , salt and pepper to taste
1 egg and 200 ml milk (egg wash)
50g plain flour (dust fish) before crumbing
250ml beer of choice
100ml Soda water
1 egg white
Add plain flour till you have the right consistence for battering.
Seafood spice mix:
Cardamom pods, star anise, cinnamon, caraway seed, clove, peppers and dry chilli, sweet paprika and sea salts. (ground and mixed for seasoning cooked seafood’s). Amounts depend on age and stage of herbs and spice Eg: fresh or dried.
– Cleaned seafood is dusted in flours before dipped in batters, pre crumbed seafood ready, dust squid in rice flour before cooking in oil at 190°C.
– When cooking starting with fish and prawns first as it needs more time to cook, after 2min adding crab and squid and cooking for 2 more min.
– Remove from oil and place on paper before serving.