Recipes by Susan’s Sumptuous Suppers
- 2 cups grated fresh beetroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chickpea (besan) flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
– Combine the grated beetroot, salt and pepper. Set aside for at least 15 minutes to infuse. Add the chickpea flour and mix with a fork till thoroughly combined.
– Melt some of the butter in a non-stick frying pan on a medium low heat. Arrange dollops of the beetroot mixture in the pan, fixing the edges so the patties are round. Gently cook for about five minutes. When the bottom is crisp and the patty holds together, gently flip the patties over and cook on the other side. You want them to be crisp and golden on both sides.
– Remove from the pan and set aside in a warm place till you’re ready to serve.
I would recommend serving these at brunch topped with a poached egg and sprinkled with a little za’atar or sumac. For lunch serve them topped with fresh goat cheese and rocket. I would particularly recommend the goat feta in brine produced by Leaning Oak. For dinner they’d be delicious with Cypress Valley’s hot smoked trout.