– Combine breadcrumbs and half the lemon zest in a bowl and season. Place the flour and eggs in separate bowls. Dip squid tubes first in flour, then egg, and coat well in crumb mixture. Chill for 15 minutes.
– Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise, garlic, chopped cornichons, lemon juice and remaining zest in a bowl. Set aside.
– For the salad, whisk together the red wine vinegar and olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Toss remaining salad ingredients with the dressing.
– Half-fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan with oil and heat to 190°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when the oil is hot enough). In batches, fry the calamari for 1-2 minutes until golden. Drain on paper towel.
– Serve the fried calamari immediately, with the salad and lemon aioli.
Subscribe to receive important notifications about the Market straight to your inbox. We'll keep you updated about market closures, special events and any change to access.