This month we keep you warm with delicious Beef Shanks with an Asian twist (pg. 53 of the recipe book) The recipe was provided by stallholder, Manda McCorkindale of Gilmore Braes Heritage Beef.
– Tie up shank with butcher’s twine to hold together through cooking process.
– Pour coconut milk into the pan and heat over medium heat.
– Add beef shank, reduce heat to low. Cook for 2 hours with firm-fitting lid.
– Remove meat. Increase heat and stirring, add curry paste, stirring a further 2–3 minutes until fragrant.
– Reduce heat to simmer, add fish sauce, sugar, tamarind, cardamon, cinnamon and onion. Return meat to pan. Cook further 3 or more hours until tender.
– Serve with rice.
Put ingredients for further cooking in a low oven (125ºC). Slow cook works best with the sauce on a low simmer.