Because the summer fruits are so good right now this month we bring you a deliciously sweet Basil-infused strawberry & blueberry tart (page 114 of the recipe book). The recipe was provided by Owen Saddler and Marilyn Chalkley from Dream Cuisine Patisserie.
Most of these ingredients can be acquired from market stallholders.
Pâte sucrée (sweet pastry)
– For the pâte sucrée, work butter, flour and sugar and pinch of salt together quickly and lightly to form crumbs. Add eggs and mix with a knife until it comes together into a lump. (You may need a little milk to help the process). Do not overwork.
– Rest in refrigerator for half an hour, preheat oven to 180°C then roll out to 3.5 mm. Cut to line flan tin, trim edges.
– Line with a sheet of baking paper, weighted down with pastry weights or dried beans, and cook at 180°C for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
Remove weights and allow to cool.
– For the crème pâtissière, place egg yolks and about one-third of sugar in a bowl. Whisk until pale and it forms a ribbon when you hold the spoon up.
– Sieve in the flour, and stir well.
– Warm the milk with the vanilla and rest of sugar and when warmed pour about a third onto the egg mix and whisk until smooth. Return the mix to the saucepan of milk whisking all the while.
– Continue to heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Turn down the heat and cook for a few minutes whisking all the while. Be careful the mixture does not stick on the bottom.
– When cooked remove from the heat and cool slightly.
– When still warm add a bunch of basil tied together with string and cover the whole pan with cling wrap, and let the basil steep for five minutes, (longer and it will become bitter)
– Remove the basil by string and pour the crème pâtissière through a sieve to ensure it is smooth.
– When cool, pour or pipe into pastry cases and decorate with strawberries, blueberries and basil leaves. If you like you can glaze the strawberries with a thin film of warm, sieved apricot jam before you add the other fruit and basil.
Subscribe to receive important notifications about the Market straight to your inbox. We'll keep you updated about market closures, special events and any change to access.