Murray River Smokehouse (previously Butt's Gourmet Smokehouse)
Murray River Smokehouse traces its history back to the early 1930s when the current business premises were first established as a butchers shop and delivered to local customers from the back of a horse and cart.
In the 1950s the business was taken over by Arthur Butt and the Albury Wodonga region had become a home to many European migrants who arrived via the Bonegilla Migrant Centre on the edge of the Hume Weir.
These new citizens expanded both the demand for small goods and the knowledge of how to make them.
Arthur expanded the business into small goods and embarked on a process of experimentation.
That tradition continues today with Butts producing a growing range of high quality meat products using traditional and contemporary recipes. Whilst our processes have moved on from open fires we retain the original smoke oven in our smokehouse as a connection to the values of the Butt family. These values include a focus on an authentic taste experience which emphasises the natural flavours of the meats and the care of the smoking process. Accordingly, Butts use no artificial smokes, flavours or fillers. We use local produce as much as possible and the wood for our ovens is sourced from fallen Red Gums from Murray River flats near Albury.
The current custodians of the business are husband and wife team Anthony Ainsworth and Marie Bucher. Anthony has spent over 30 years studying and working with Food and Agriculture in Australia and Asia and is passionate about bringing the best of Australian grown produce to the plates of our customers. Butts is also supported by Smoke Master Jeremy Conlan. Jeremy was born in Country NSW and trained as a Chef in Sydney before moving back to the Albury region where Butts has been fortunate to have him become part of our business.
Smoked Chicken Breast (Free Range and Barn Reared) Smoke Chicken whole (boned)
Smoked Lamb – Whole Rump, Rack, Sliced, Bacon
Smoked Beef and Pastrami - Sliced
Smoked Kangaroo (with Lemon Myrtle, black pepper and garlic) and Quail
Smoked Turkey (Free Range)
Smoked Duck Breast
Smoked Ham – sliced, bone out, bone in (Free Range)
Smoked Bacon – sliced (Free Range)
Smoked Eel (Wild caught)
Kransky (Chilli Cheese Traditional) - free range pork
Terrine - Duck and Pistachio
Salami - whole 100% free range pork salamis.
Free Range Smoked Meat products with a clean label ie no "e" numbers in any of our products.
- Locally sourced lamb for a portion of our smoked lamb - we are building this up steadily with a local lamb producer.
- Free Range salami's also with no "e" numbers
- We only use wood sustainably sourced from the Riverina for smoking our products (Redgum)
- Locally sourced raw materials (with the exception of some imported vegetable/spices not available in Australia) to the extent possible ( Lamb from Woomargama, Pork from Avalon, Quail from Leeton, Tongues from Wangaratta, Free range chicken from Millawa, Eel from Western Districts, Duck from the Wimmera, Turkey from Gippsland)
- A wide selection of smoked/cured products including some unique to us eg smoked Kangaroo
- Gluten-free Kranksy sausages (Traditional, Cheese, Chilli)