Because eggplants are in season, this month’s recipe is for crumbed eggplant with tomato salsa. It comes from Mike and Rosa Auddino from Auddino’s Produce.
– Wash and slice eggplant into even slices – not too thick. Cover with salt and leave for a few hours in a colander to drain away all the bitter juices. Do not wash salt off.
– Prepare bread crumbs by adding finely chopped garlic. Mix through evenly.
– Coat eggplant slices in flour then dip into beaten egg mixture then into crumb mix. Press firmly. Continue until all slices are crumbed.
– Heat the oil in a frypan. Cook on medium heat for approximately 4–5 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through.
– Combine all salsa chopped ingredients. Mix in olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
Serve with crumbed eggplant.
Subscribe to receive important notifications about the Market straight to your inbox. We'll keep you updated about market closures, special events and any change to access.