– Put the milk, double cream and 1 tbsp of the sugar into a heavy based saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and add them to the pan. Heat until almost simmering. Then take off the heat.
– Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until creamy.
– Gradually pour the hot creamy milk onto the sugary yolks, whisking as you do so. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a clean pan.
– Stir the mixture over a low heat until the custard thickens enough to thinly coat the back
of a spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil as it will curdle.
– Remove from the heat and strain the custard again through a fine sieve into a cold bowl
(unless you are serving it hot right away). Leave to cool, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin from forming.
Subscribe to receive important notifications about the Market straight to your inbox. We'll keep you updated about market closures, special events and any change to access.