– Place all ingredients in a bowl over a simmering pot of water.
– Stir or whisk occasionally to stop from sticking or burning.
– Remove from heat after an hour or until egg yolks are cooked out.
– Add more lemon or sugar to taste.
– Heat milk over low heat until just warm (overheating will kill the yeast).
– Remove from heat and pour into a jug.
– Add yeast, 2 tblsp. Caster sugar and salt.
– Whisk with a fork until well-combined.
– Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
– Sift flour into a large bowl.
– Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resemble fine breadcrumbs.
– Add ¼ cup caster sugar, stirring until well-combined.
– Make a well in the centre.
– Add yeast mixture and eggs. Mix until well-combined.
– Drop mixture onto a floured surface.
– Knead for 10 minutes.
– Place dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
– Stand in a warm place for 45 minutes.
– Combine remaining caster sugar and cinnamon on a plate.
– Knock down dough and turn onto a lightly floured board.
– Cut dough in half and knead each piece for 5 minutes.
– Roll into little rounds and allow to double in size again.
– Half-fill a frypan with oil.
– Heat over a medium heat until oil is hot.
– Add 2 to 3 doughnuts at a time, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
– Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
– Toss doughnuts, one at a time in cinnamon sugar until well-coated.
– Fill with the lemon curd and serve.
Subscribe to receive important notifications about the Market straight to your inbox. We'll keep you updated about market closures, special events and any change to access.