Cranberry & apple fruit mince pies
Recipe by Ivonne Nathan of forchefs
• 115g craisins (dried cranberries)
• 50g dried apple, finely chopped
• 40g (1/4 cup) dried cherries
• 75g (1/2 cup) dried pineapple, finely chopped
• 170g (1 cup) sultanas
• 200g brown sugar
• 2 tbsp brandy
• Zest 1 orange
• 80ml fresh orange juice
• 1 apple grated
• 1 tsp mixed spice
• 300g plain flour
• 70g caster sugar
• 175g chilled chopped butter
• Pinch salt
• 1 free range egg, lightly whisked
• Milk for brushing
– Stir the craisins, dried apple, cherries, pineapple, sultanas, brown sugar, brandy, orange rind and orange juice in a saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
– Stir in the grated apple and mixed spice.
– Set aside to cool completely.
– Rub butter into flour, caster sugar, salt mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
– Add egg and bring dough together.
– Turn onto a clean work surface.
– Shape into a disc.
– Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 20 minutes to rest.
– Preheat oven to 180°C.
– Roll out pastry onto a lightly floured surface until 5mm thick
– Use a round pastry cutter to cut discs from the pastry and line moulds
– Divide the fruit mince among the cases
– Use brush edges with milk and top with either a disc or a star. Brush with milk making sure there is a hole for steam to escape
– Bake for 20 min until golden
Subscribe to receive important notifications about the Market straight to your inbox. We'll keep you updated about market closures, special events and any change to access.