As the weather is slowly starting to warm up and to celebrate another award win by stallholders Homeleigh Grove, this month we bring you a super yummy spring recipe- Grapefruit and Ginger Olive Oil Ice Cream (pg. 118 of the recipe book) The recipe was provided by stallholders Peter and Caroline O’Clery of Homeleigh Grove.
– Heat oil, vanilla and milk in medium saucepan, stirring over gentle heat to just boiling point. Remove from heat and cool 15 minutes.
– Whisk egg yolks and su
gar until combined. Strain oil/milk mixture into this and whisk until combined. Return to heat and stir until mixture thickens enough to coat back of wooden spoon (not too thick).. Remove from heat and chill in fridge.
– When ready, whip cream with ground ginger until soft peaks form and fold into the refrigerated mixture. Add ginger pieces. Immediately put in ice-cream maker and churn.
– Freeze when ready. Soften in fridge about 30 minutes before eating for easier serving.
– Use Homeleigh Grove lemon myrtle oil instead of grapefruit and cinnamon in place of ground ginger. Omit crystallised ginger or use as desired. Delicious with shortbread fingers.
– Use Homeleigh Grove blood orange oil and cardamom in place of the ground ginger. Serve with slices of orange for a refreshing dessert.
Subscribe to receive important notifications about the Market straight to your inbox. We'll keep you updated about market closures, special events and any change to access.