Crumpets with Honey & Sheeps’ Milk Cheese
Recipe by Ivonne Nathan of forchefs
- 450 gm (3 cups) plain flour
- 350 ml milk, warmed
- 5 gm (1¾ tsp) dried yeast
- For brushing: vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Honey, to serve
- Sheep’s’ milk or ricotta cheese
- Whisk flour, milk, yeast and 350ml lukewarm water in a bowl to form a smooth batter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until bubbles form on surface (2-4 hours).
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and brush with oil.
- Lightly grease 7cm crumpet rings with oil.
- Whisk baking powder and a pinch of fine sea salt into batter. Place a ring in the frying pan and ladle batter into the ring to make a test crumpet.
- The batter should stay in ring and bubbles should begin to appear within 2 minutes; if batter doesn’t stay in ring, whisk in a little more flour; if bubbles don’t appear, whisk in a little more water.
- Cook crumpets, in batches, until bubbles form on surface, then flip and cook until just set and golden.
- Place crumpets on a tray and cover loosely with foil while remainder are cooked. Serve crumpets warm with honey and cheese.